What is the ELCA Youth Gathering?
The ELCA Youth Gathering is a ministry of the church wide organization of the ELCA for high school-aged youth and their adult leaders. For more information click here.
- Happens every 3 years.
- Preceded by group Bible study to prepare the youth and leaders for the work, service, and worship they will experience at the Gathering.
When is the next gathering?
- July 15-19, 2015
Who can attend the gathering?
- The Gathering welcomes youth entering 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades in the fall of 2015, and 2015 high school graduates.
How much does it cost?
- The total trip cost is typically about $1200.00.
- We try to raise $400 through fundraising activities.
- St. Philip provides $400 to each youth.
- The families are responsible for $400
- The only other $$ needed is for souvenirs.
Is Detroit safe?
- ELCA Youth Gathering Safety and Security Planning Team
- Providing safe walking routes.
- Private and public security personnel at all venues utilized by Gathering participants.
- Working with local, state and federal officials to prepare for visit.
- Receiving t-shirts to make youth and leaders more easily identifiable.
- Gather in Ford Field to hear the day’s Scripture text
- 3 Day Activity Rotation: a day of service (Proclaim Justice Day), a day of exploratory learning (Proclaim Story Day), and a day of interactive learning in the Convention Center (Proclaim Community Day)
- Community Life which takes place in various venues, including some hotels. Community Life activities include dances, game rooms, prayer stations, and an activity called Final 15.
- The Gathering concludes with Eucharist on Sunday morning, at which Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton will preach.
Travel & Lodging
Travel: We will be taking a synod arranged bus to travel to Detroit. This same bus will likely serve as our transportation into and out of the city each day.
Lodging: Accommodations will be downtown and in the surrounding area. There will be 2-4 youth per room. All of our rooms will be clustered together.
- We will eat all of our meals together as a church group. Downtown Detroit has a lot of dining options from which to choose. We will have access to grocery stores. The leaders will be packing snack foods to bring along as well.